Wednesday 16 February 2011

Marvel Merriness, Part 3

Above you can see my first ever mouse/Photoshop attempt at coloring an image! I still hadn't embraced Illustrator at this point so it's not as clean cut as it could have been, but it's still progression.
As you might tell, I was a huge fan of Joe Madureira's art on various X-Men comics, and this Wolverine was influenced/copied directly from his work on Marvel Vs. Capcom.
Wolverine as a character was never my favorite of the mutants, that's not to say I disliked him, I just didn't quite get the way some, or most, writer's approached him.  I always found him interesting to draw though. He was a short hairy little man with a temper and like with drawing the Hulk, the expressions of rage were always fun to experiment with.
As I've mentioned in previous posts, I struggled to find my own style, but I still experimented with the way the characters looked a lot. To my surprise though, I've realized a little something. If you look on the image above, to the right (just above Toad) is my version of Sabretooth, dark haired and and shaven head... Me and Charlotte both agree that this sketch of him looks the spitting image of Liev Schreiber's portrayal of Victor Creed in the Wolverine: Origins movie (2009).
And speaking of the movies...
Sometimes I can be lazy with my drawings, and the first of these proves it, in fact I think it looks more like Ron Perlman than it does Hugh Jackman, heh. Anyways, the second is the original sketch of the last image, which I was truly pleased to have turn out so well, I think it looks just like him in character - It's not often than I am happy with the outcome of my doodling.
A digitally colored version can be seen here: The Wolverine
This post wouldn't be complete without some pics of my favorite X-Man, Gambit!
Over the years there were millions of drawings of him, sadly I can't locate most of them so these will have to do for now, the last image must have been a comic I had planned to do starring him, which like most of the others, didn't quite take off.
Some random X-Men characters again, Sabretooth and Storm were taken out of an old school sketchbook of mine (Storm is dated 2001, so I was 15 again). Both of the Cyclops pictures came later on, on inspired by Steven E. Gordon (X-Men: Evolution) and the other I think copied from an X-Men manga book I once found online.

No comments:

Post a Comment